Sunday June 28: Timbers, Timbers and more Timbers.
1:00 PM – Portland Timbers U23 vs Vancouver Whitecaps Residency @ PGE Park
- Tickets for this match are $8, and can be bought at the stadium on game day (or from me, if that’s your thing)
- This game is being hosted by the Timbers Army, meaning that all proceeds (after operating costs for the Park are taken care of) will be split 50/50 between the Timbers Army Tifo Fund and a local charity to be determined – in the past we have volunteered and donated to a number of charities, notably Habitat for Humanity and Doernbecher Children’s Hospital.
- Children under 10 admitted FREE with paying adult.
- Ticket stubs are good for a $2 discount on tickets to the senior game at 5:00 PM (see below)
- Portland Timbers U23 are a youth squad in their first season competing in the Premier Development League. They are currently 3rd in the table, having lost only 2 games this season.
3:00 PM – Potluck BBQ Tailgate @ SW 18th Ave & Salmon St (parking lot between PGE Park and Lincoln High School, behind the Cheerful Bullpen).
- This is like a regular Timbers Army Tailgate, only BETTER. There will be players and coaches from the U23 squad in attendance (plus any senior team players who won’t be on the squad vs Montreal later in the day).
- There will be grills where you can grill your grillable food, and cups for you to imbibe your imbibe. Bring your favorite food/drink/snack, enjoy a kickaround, and soak in the love.
- Tailgates are fun.
5:00 PM – Portland Timbers vs Montreal Impact @ PGE Park
- Tickets are $12 if you buy them on gameday, but they will knock $2 off that price if you buy a ticket to the U23 game earlier in the day (see above).
- The Portland Timbers are currently 4th in the table, only 2 points out of first with 2 games in hand. This is good. We’re having a great season so far, with a great backline and keeper, a vastly improved midfield, and after a slow start offensively the goals are now starting to come (the last game was a 5-1 whooping of Minnesota last Friday). Yay!
- The Montreal Impact are a perennial USL-D1 powerhouse. They are owned by some guy named Joey, subsidized by the government of Quebec, and last weekend they threw a game against Toronto FC, losing 6-1, just to shaft their league rivals Vancouver out of a spot in the CONCACAF Champions League. Boo!